Instrument Panel Illumination

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Corsa F
Deleted User 184

Post by Deleted User 184 »

Hi

I 've had my new Corsa since mid-December 2020 and have generally been very happy with the car. However, I have an issue that’s becoming quite irritating.

The problem is with the Instrument Panel Illumination. During daylight running it should be bright, with the level dimming during night time running. Switching between the two modes is controlled automatically, and seems to be independent of the car highlights (i.e. illumination level can be dim or bright, with or without the headlights on).

Most of the time switching between dim and bright works quite well, but recently I've had problems when driving an hour or so before sunset, or in overcast conditions at any time of day. The problem generally arises when there are trees, or other high objects near the roadside. In such conditions, the instrument panel illumination switches repeatedly between dim and bright every few seconds. There is a tree-lined street that I drive along regularly and the problem is particularly bad here, with the illumination level switching between modes every few metres. This can be very distracting, something I do not want when driving.

There is no problem during normal bright daylight conditions (illumination always bright), or at night (illumination always dim).

I have tried switching the headlights on manually, but this has no effect on the auto-dimming/brightening of the instrument panel, which seems to have its own sensor. I know the brightness can be adjusted using the rocker switch to the right of the steering wheel column, but this is not the problem I have.

I 've discussed the issue with my local dealership who have said this is a normal 'feature' and advised that it is not possible to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.

I was wondering if any other Corsa F drivers are having a similar problem? I'm beginning to wonder if I have faulty sensor, as I'm sure other drivers would have reported this issue if it's a common problem.

I'd be grateful for any of your thoughts on this matter.

Kind regards

gowron492

Post by gowron492 »

The constant changing of the illumination level is VERY annoying. I understand you pain.

Why can't it be a manual adjustment?!?

Carl,
Tel

Post by Tel »

Same problem with my Corsa F. Same conditions as yours, evenings, tree lined streets etc. Most annoying when Android auto is connected with Google maps changes from day mode to night mode and then back to day mode constantly.
Changed settings in Google maps to no avail.
Tel.
gowron492

Post by gowron492 »

Tel wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:59 am Most annoying when Android auto is connected with Google maps changes from day mode to night mode and then back to day mode constantly.
Changed settings in Google maps to no avail.
I've changed the setting on my car and so now, Android auto doesn't constantly change. Can't remember where the setting is thou.

Carl,