steering wheel shake when slightly turned at highway speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Corsa F
eng_ahmad1986

Post by eng_ahmad1986 »

Hello to all :)

I have this weird issue, when I get speed to speed of 50 to 70 mph on a high way, and the steering wheel is turned slightly off center, like changing lanes for example, there is this vibration or wobble in the steering wheel, best to describe is like a haptic feedback from a game controller !! however going straight is smooth and fine, only when the wheel turned between 11 and 1 clock positions at that speed, turning the wheel more than this doesn't give any vibrations !! lane keep assist is off so its not the issue.

At speeds below or above that the issue is not there.

vehicle is 2022 Corsa F 1.2 130ps 6 speed auto, current mileage is 11k miles, I have checked wheels and tires balancing, checked wheel alignment, all are OK.

Its still under warranty but I'd like to have some opinions before going to the dealer, this could save me much time trying to explain the issue for them, and that would be greatly appreciated. any thoughts ?

Thank you for considering :)

Cobra26

Post by Cobra26 »

Sounds like the feeling you get when the lane departure is on. Might be related to that. Dodgy sensor? Try it while indicating, if it goes away then that's a starting point. You can turn the lane departure off by pressing the button. Interesting problem which I'd get checked sooner rather than later.
eng_ahmad1986

Post by eng_ahmad1986 »

The lane assist is OFF

the steering wheel is more like pulsating rather than shaking, as if something is pushing the wheel left and right, and it all happens between 11 and 1 , as soon as you pass that region every thing is fine !!

its driving me crazy !!
Cobra26

Post by Cobra26 »

Sorry I did read that you had lane departure off after I posted.
Try it with lane departure back on and see if it's similar feeling or not. To be honest you're going to have to take it to Vauxhall, should be under warranty anyway. Sensor or steering motor are most likely. Post back when you get a diagnosis. Another Corsa problem to add to the list it sounds like.
Cobra26

Post by Cobra26 »

Hi, What was the outcome of this problem. Was it resolved.?
eng_ahmad1986

Post by eng_ahmad1986 »

Cobra26 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:32 am Hi, What was the outcome of this problem. Was it resolved.?
up till now no.

the dealer could reproduce it but went on saying that its the nature of the electric power steering, and nothing wrong with it or with the car.
I think I have to wait till the issue gets more obvious and undeniable.

I'm beginning to think its an inner tie rod issue, however I'm not sure yet, I'll keep you updated

the weird think is , I noticed that the issue is more obvious when I drive more miles and things gets hot !!
Cobra26

Post by Cobra26 »

Thanks for the update. I thought you'd had this sorted. I wouldn't be excepting that response from Dealer. I'd take it further up the Vauxhall tree. Shouldn't be doing that and certainly not a feature of the electric steering.
eng_ahmad1986

Post by eng_ahmad1986 »

Update : went to an independent garage , they thoroughly inspected the steering and suspension system, and they discovered a notable roughness in strut mount bearings, both left and right are not smooth, and you can feel it clearly if you put your hands on the springs and having some one turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is raised and the suspension is unloaded, both front strut bearings no doubt about it.

I booked the vehicle at the dealer for inspection next Tuesday, I hope this time they recognize the issue, I hope also that those strut bearings are covered under warranty.

weird to have this happen so early like this !!

Will keep you updated.
Cobra26

Post by Cobra26 »

Interesting diagnosis. Would have expected you to have other knocks and clunks if top bearings have gone but it's all possible. Good luck with the dealership 😬 and post back the outcome. Here and on the other Vauxhall owners site 😉

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post