Electric hand brake versus P on the selector lever

All Vauxhall Corsa F related discussions
RDarling

Post by RDarling »

If I have the car on a slope how reliable is pressing the P on the selector lever, rather than switching off and seeing that the parking brake is ON?

nlittley

Post by nlittley »

The electric handbrake is automatically engaged when you switch off anyway. If your question is for reasons of protecting the handbrake from overuse, you don’t really have that option I don’t think.
Corsa-e Elite Nav June 2020
Voltaic Blue
RDarling

Post by RDarling »

Thanks for your reply. My query is for when I take the car out of the garage onto a slope and need to get out of the car to shut the garage door for example. I have been switching off, but if I don't and only press the P on the select lever, will the car be able to stay stationery on the slope?
nlittley

Post by nlittley »

It makes a big bing bong if you try getting out without the handbrake in I think. Don’t know if I’d trust park on a slope
Corsa-e Elite Nav June 2020
Voltaic Blue
RDarling

Post by RDarling »

I have noticed the "big bang bong" on opening the door, so that may be the warning to switch off before getting out.

Thanks.
Hondaracer

Post by Hondaracer »

Not sure what model you have but on my Corsa F electric Elite Nav. I was able to stop the handbrake being applied when switching off ign. I had to pull the H/B on then push the lever switch forward several times to achieve this , and it is reversible. I think I read it online somewhere but my memory is not so good. It may even be in the Owners Manual we never read!!
The hand brake can still be operated manually and remember the anti roll back protects against rolling into the poor Merc behind you even if H/B not applied.
RDarling

Post by RDarling »

Thanks for that reply. My concern is leaving the car on a slope without having the handbrake applied, just having the selector lever on P and in the Ready state. My model is the SE Nav.

Searching the Owners Manual which you mention, I now find:

"It is dangerous to get out of the vehicle if the selector lever is not fully in P with the parking brake firmly applied. The vehicle can roll.

"Do not leave the vehicle when the propulsion system is running, the vehicle may move suddenly. You or others can be injured. To be sure the vehicle will not move,
even if you are on even ground, always apply the parking brake and move the selector lever to P."

So that appears to clear up my query.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post